IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) Therapy
A recent study in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology shows IPL treatments actually reverse the genetic expression patterns of aged human skin! After the IPL treatment regimen, the skin’s genes were actually “rejuvenated”. Patients who receive a series of 3-6 treatments and then do a yearly maintenance of three treatments have astounding results! You will soon realize why IPL is a staple in many of our patients' skin care regimens. PREVENTATIVE, CORRECTIVE, & DRAMATIC! We are extremely pleased with our new IPL machine, the Lumenis M-22. It's more powerful than our previous device, so you need fewer treatments and the M-22 is equipped with a unique cooling plate for maximum comfort.
Unlike laser treatments, the light from IPL penetrates all levels of the skin by emitting many different wavelengths. Lasers are limited to one wavelength, which restricts its penetration abilities, and limits its treatment options. IPL (intense pulsed light) offers an extensive range of wavelengths to treat different conditions and has a sapphire crystal cooling tip to further increase patient comfort.
IPL delivers results without blisters, burns or a long recovery period. And as long as you wear sunscreen and protect your skin you can go right back to your activities after a treatment is complete.
- Acne -Now, you can clear inflammatory acne without any discomfort or downtime. Acne Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments utilize a high intensity light source to penetrate through the tissue and destroy acne bacteria quickly and easily, inhibiting future acne breakouts . Typically, just 4 -6 treatments over a two month period will greatly improve the appearance of skin as well as even out skin tone and stimulate collagen production. You will notice a considerable reduction or elimination in the appearance of your acne. Moreover, the skin appears replenished and rejuvenated with a more even skin tone and texture. Medical grade peels are an excellent complementary treatment to assist in clearing up acne as well as blue LED light trestments. You will need a good skin care regimen to maintain your results.
- Fine Lines and Wrinkles-IPL photofacial rejuvenation, offers a safe and gentle way to stimulate superficial collagen production, reduce surface wrinkles and other signs of aging, resulting in smoother, more wrinkle-free looking skin. These changes are not seen immediately. Your skin improves over a few months after you finish your treatment series. Medical peels are the perfect complement to your IPL treatment. Matched to your skin type, a peel will improve the texture of your skin and create a more youthful appearance.
- Age Spots-IPL with the M-22 lightens and removes "sun spots", "age spots", and brown blotches on the face, neck, chest, hands and other areas of the body. After an IPL series, any age and sun spots not removed and brought to the surface can be followed with a Perfect Derma Peel to reveal younger, smoother, clearer skin!
- Rosacea-a chronic skin condition that makes your face turn red and may cause swelling and blemishes that look like acne. IPL is considered to be the gold standard for the treatment of this condition and our results agree. Unfortunately we can't cure rosacea, but we can treat it very effectively. Epionce intensive noursishing cream along with a good sunscreen, helps reduce the redness as well.
- Broken Capillaries -Dilated, visible and ‘broken’ facial and nasal capillaries are very common and often present a problem as they give the appearance of sunburn, or of excessive alcohol intake. Often they are inherited, and they are certainly more common in lighter skin types, and with long-term sun exposure. They are surprisingly easy to treat with IPL and we have had great results doing so.
- Hyperpigmentation- there are a number of reasons why a person might experience hyperpigmentation on their face or body, including hormones, medication, certain skin diseases, photo damage or even just the natural aging process. If your pigmentation is a source of embarrassment for you, you may want to consider IPL. IPL helps to neutralize and reduce the pigmented areas while minimizing any damage caused to the surrounding tissue. We can recommend complementary products like the Epionce Melanolyte treatment duo that will help prevent these dark areas from reoccuring.
- Sun Damage- IPL is Dr. Trussell's favorite treatment for sun damage. IPL is a non-invasive skin restoration treatment that erases the damage inflicted on your skin from sun and aging. The technology supplies a broad spectrum of light which reaches deep down within the skin, targeting pigment and vascular imperfections. The goals of therapy are a more even skin tone and texture. Compliment your IPL photofacial with a medical grade Perfect Derma Peel and help remove any sunspots that may be left to reveal younger, smoother, clearer skin.
- Spider Veins on the Extremities-intense pulse light therapy is an excellent non-invasive treatment for spider veins, and small vascular birthmarks. Intense Pulsed Light delivers a concentrated pulse of light to the vein to be treated. The light generates heat and specifically damages the vessel walls. As a result, the veins shrink and disappear. Intense Pulsed Light penetrates the unwanted vessel without damaging or scarring the surrounding tissue.
- Telangiectasias on the face- are widened venules (tiny blood vessels) that cause red lines or patterns on the skin. Their formation is gradual. Telangiectases are common in very visible areas (lips, nose, fingers, around the eyes and mouth). They can cause discomfort and look unattractive. IPL reduces the appearance of the red marks or patterns on the skin. IPL penetrates the vessel forcing it to collapse.
- Hair Removal-remove body hair permanently or almost permanently. IPL zeros in on the hair follicles and kills them. However, hair grows in cycles and some follicles are lying dormant. Light therapy must hit the hair follicle during its growth phase to work properly which means you will need a series of treatments to obtain the best results. A better option for hair removal at Sei Bella Med Spa is with our LightSheer Desire laser hair removal device!
Are You a candidate for IPL?
You may not be a good candidate for IPL therapy if you are prone to developing red, raised keloid scars or other forms of excess scarring, hyperpigmentation, or hypopigmentation. You are also not a good candidate for intense pulsed light therapy if you do not heal well from burns or if you have uncontrolled diabetes, as this disease may affect your body's wound-healing ability. Autoimmune diseases, such as lupus, may also prevent you from receiving IPL. Discuss appropriate treatments with Dr. Trussell. She, or her nurse Sandy, will examine your skin and any scars you have. You may need to have a patch test to see how you react to IPL.
Cost for IPL depends on the area being treated, and the type of treatment being provided. Make sure you are clear about all price points before you begin your IPL treatment series. We are available to answer any questions you may have. See pricing below.
Call us today to schedule your IPL treatments. Dr. Trussell and Sandy look forward to working with you to provide the best individualized care for your skin problems.
What Can Patients Expect Following Treatment?
- Recovery with the IPL is minimal. Your face may be mildly red for several hours after the procedure but this will subside. Pigmented areas on your skin will become darker initially, and then wash off over the following week. This may last 1 day but can last 2 weeks.
- You should be able to resume all of your regular activities immediately as long as you wear sunscreen and protect your skin. By dividing the full program into several treatments, the procedure provides progressive improvement with very low risk.
- You will need to avoid the sun as much as possible before and after the treatment, and no treatment will be provided if you are sunburned or using a tanning bed. Self tanners are also a contraindication unless you can completely exfoliate it off prior to your treatment. Sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 30 should be utilized daily, at all times of the year.
- The treated skin will feel softer and exhibit a more even skin tone. Fine lines and wrinkles will also improve, along with hyperpigmentation and age spots and a reduction in pore size.
- Rosacea sufferers will see a marked reduction in breakouts and in some cases may be able to decrease or discontinue their medication.
Full Face Photofacial : $250 per treatment or $675 for a series of 3 treatments
Localized Pigmentation: $200 per treatment or $525 for a series of 3 treatments
Facial Acne: $250 per treatment or $675 for a series of 3 treatments
Localized Vascularity on the Face: $250 per treatment or $675 for a series of 3 treatments
Rosacea: $250 per treatment or $675 for a series of 3 treatments
Telangectasias: $250 per treatment or $675 for a series of 3 treatments
Neck and Chest Rejuvenation: $200 per treatment or $525 for a series of 3 treatments
Neck Rejuvenation ADDED to face: $100 per treatment
Spider vein treatment price varies depending on the size of the area to be treated. $100-$350 per treatment.
We can do hair removal with IPL, but laser hair removal with our LightSheer Desire laser device is faster and much more comfortable!