There are many thyroid preparations available.......Synthroid, generic levothyroxine, Cytomel, Armour thyroid, Nature-Throid, WP Thyroid and several others. Depending on the reason for your thyroid replacement needs, your doctor may choose one or a combination of the ones above. With BioTE bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, Dr. Trussell prefers Nature-Throid or WP Thyroid. Read below to discover the benefits of these two preparations.
- Nature-Throid is a natural dessicated thyroid medication that contains both T4 (80%) and T3 (20%)
- Nature-Throid only utilizes hypoallergenic inactive ingredients and is free of all dyes and coloring agents.
- Nature-Throid also contains trace amounts of T1, T2, Iodine and Calcitonin because it is derived from a natural source (porcine thyroid).
- A study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, May 2013, revealed that 48.6% of people chose natural dessicated thyroid over synthetic T4 (Synthroid) and lost 4 lbs more during treatment AND reported significant reductions in their hypothyroid symptoms.
- Nature-Throid is available in 13 different dosage strengths so you can have a dose tailored to your needs.
- WP Thyroid is a natural dessicated thyroid medication that also contains T4 (80%) and T3 (20%) hormone
- WP Thyroid is formulated with only 2 inactive ingredients...inulin (from chicory root) and medium chain triglycerides (from coconut)
- WP Thyroid is available in 8 strengths
Neither of these preparations have ever been recalled by the FDA or voluntarily recalled for inconsistent hormone content. Both are blended to meet a +/- 2% variance in hormone content instead of the +/- 10% variance the U.S. Pharmacopeia allows. Both are gluten free and hypoallergenic. Currently there are no synthetic thyroid medications that contain both T4 and T3.
This cartoon characterizes some of the symptoms you may have with hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). It is important to get a complete panel of thyroid lab, not just the TSH that so many doctors use to determine whether you need replacement. These labs are part of the endocrine panel with our BioTE program. The pictures below show what people, and a poor dog, may look like before and after treatment for hypothyoidism.
So obviously treatment for hypothyroidism can make a big difference in the way you look AND definitely the way you feel. Your entire endocrine system works together, therefore it is important to have a complete panel of blood work. Call today if you would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Trussell to discuss BioTE bio-identical hormone replacement therapy.