The skin is the largest organ in our body. It is subjected to all the environmental wear and tear- sun, wind, air pollution- plus our internal stressors such as hormone fluctuations, bad dietary habits, and stress in general. Removing dead cells from the surface not only makes you look younger and your skin look brighter and more even, it also keeps our skin's barrier strong.
Gone are the days of needing really deep acid peels that leave you holed up at home not wanting to go out in public due to the redness and oozing and sometimes pain caused by these deep peels. At Sei Bella, we have 11 different peels of different strengths and components that are matched to your specific skin type and need. Let's review a few of these.
The basic categories of acids we use are alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), beta hydroxy acid (BHA) and retinoic acid. They cause dead skin cells to shed by breaking protein bonds between the dead and the living cells.
1. glycolic acid- it comes from pineapple, sugarcane and sugar beets. It penetrates the top layer of skin quickly and easily, but may not be the best choice for those with very sensitive skin. Glycolic acid is great for acne treatment and also when mixed with other acids because it penetrates the skin so well.
2. lactic acid- it comes from fruit, veggies and milk and is less irritating for those with sensitive skin. Like glycolic acid, it stimulates superficial collagen production, and improves the appearance of acne scars and large pores. It will also increase our body's own natural moisturizers called glycosaminoglycans
3. mandelic acid- it comes from the extract of bitter almonds. It does not penetrate as well as glycolic acid so it is not as irritating to sensitive skin. I especially like mandelic acid peels in my Asian, Hispanic and African-American patients with darker skin tones because you don't run the risk of hypo or hyper pigmented areas. A series of mandelic acid peels in teens is a great adjunct to other acne treatments.
4. kojic acid- one of my favorite acids, works very well on dark spots and for overall skin brightening. It is a naturally occurring compound from the fungi Aspergillus oryzae. Kojic acid is found in many skincare products as well.
1. Salicylic acid- the one used most often. It is an aspirin derivative, so if you have an aspirin allergy or sensitivity, this is not one we would choose for you. Salicylic acid peels are excellent for acne treatment. It has anti-bacterial properties and cleans out pores while soothing the skin.
This is a must-have for anti-aging. Retinoic acid is a Vitamin A derivative like topical retinols and tretinoin (Retin-A, Renova, Refissa). Retinoic acid is very powerful for treating fine lines, scarring and hyperpigmentation. You can incorporate retinols into your daily skin care regimen to maintain the benefit of your peels.
As I said, we offer 11 different peels. Microdermabrasion prior to your peel will also enhance the benefits of your peel. A basic micropeel from our Skin Therapeutics line is $175. We recommend these be done in a series of 3-6 peels. You won't have the heavy flaking like you do with our Perfect Derma Peel which is $300 and has a different acid base called trichloracetic acid (TCA). Perfect Derma is good for patients who need a quick, dramatic result, have stubborn dark spots and is safe for all skin types regardless of ethnicity.
If you want to keep your peel results looking good, homecare is essential. We have several products that help you do just that and we will tell you which ones are right for you. We have Obagi tretinoin 0.1% and Refissa 0.05%, Obagi C-clarifying serum, plus Skin Therapeutic's cellular turnovers in a low strength of lactic, glycolic or salicylic acids, as well as Skin Therapeutics Brightnol, Crystal Exfoliating Scrub, Tri-Ex Peel Pads and Micro-Dermal Scrub. In our Epionce line we have a Lytic Cleanser and 4 Lytic Tx lotions based on your skin type as well Melanolyte Tx lotion and serum. Making your skin look better and you look younger, thus increasing your self-confidence, is our goal. Call today for your appointment! Dr. Trussell, her nurse Sandy, and her aesthetician stand ready to assist you! 501-228-6237