Continuing on with my recent hormone blogs.....let's talk about testosterone today.
In men testosterone is responsible for sperm production and for secondary sex characteristics. In women testosterone regulates sexual desire and helps maintain bone and muscle health.
It is a well known fact that testosterone decreases with age in both men and women. Men age 30-70 lose 1-3% of their total testosterone production each year. Women age 30-40 lose 50% of their testosterone production.
Symptoms of decreased testosterone in women include:
- mood swings, anxiety, depression
- decreased libido, vaginal dryness
- brain fog, memory loss
- weight gain especially in the belly
- decreased muscle mass
- joint pain
- night sweats
- migraine/menstrual headaches
Symptoms of decreased testosterone in men:
- decreased muscle mass and weight gain especially in the belly
- erectile dysfunction and decreased libido
- "man boobs"
- irritability, depression, anxiety
- joint pain
- sleep problems
- memory loss
Lots of myths surround the use of testosterone in women. So be informed and make note of the facts!
- testosterone is the most abundant biologically active hormone in women
- testosterone does not "masculinize" women unless some huge supra-physiologic dose is used
- testosterone does not deepen a woman's voice
- testosterone therapy actually increases scalp hair in women
- testosterone is cardioprotective and adequate levels actually decrease the risk of heart disease
- testosterone decreases anxiety and irritability
- testosterone is protective to the breast and DOES NOT cause breast cancer
At Sei Bella we offer bio-identical hormone replacement therapy with pellets. Pellets are inserted in the fat of your butt under the skin every 4-6 months depending on when your symptoms recur. The procedure is very quick and painless. It doesn't even require any stitches, just a steristrip. Hormone pellet implants were developed in 1939 for women who had radical hysterectomies and they have been used in Europe, the United States and Australia ever since.
Bio-identical hormone pellets are actually derived from sweet potatoes and are the size of a grain of rice or smaller. They have the exact same molecular structure as the hormones our own bodies used to make. They provide a steady stream of hormones in your blood stream (no peak and trough). Dosing is very individualized based on your lab work, age, height, weight, symptoms, etc. And since they are placed under the skin of your butt they last for 4-6 months.
I personally have been getting hormone pellet therapy for almost 4 years. I certainly have had no adverse effects and they changed my life. My mood is better. I can sleep! And I don't have all the soreness and muscle recovery I used to have after a long run or workout.
Call for your consult! Start feeling like yourself again before the holidays! 501-228-6237
Anne R Trussell MD
North American Menopause Association
Davison SL, Bell R, Donath S, Montalto JG, Davis SR. Androgen levels in adult females. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 2005;90(7):3847
Kaufmann JM, Vermeulen A. The Decline of Androgen Levels in Elderly Men. Endo Rev 2005;26:833-76
Gray A. et al, Mass. Male Aging Study, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 1991; 73:1016
Glaser R, Dimitralakis C., Testosterone therapy in women, Myths and misconceptions: Maturitas 74 (2013) 230-234
Mishnell 41, Greenblatt 49, Thom 81, Stancyk 88